FAQ: Divorce

At the Law Office of Ada M. Barreto, our team of legal professionals knows how confusing the divorce process can be, which is why we are here to guide you and make sure all of your interests are fully protected. In this blog, we answer common questions that we are asked about divorce cases.

Question: What do I need to do to get ready for my divorce?

A: If you know you will be leaving your spouse, you need to start saving money. Open a separate bank account that your spouse doesn’t have access to. If you and your spouse share checking or savings accounts, you need to immediately close them. You should also make a spreadsheet to keep track of your finances, such as your credit card statements, pay stubs, and tax returns.

Question: What is the difference between legal separation and divorce?

A: If you decide to legally separate from your spouse, you will still be technically married under the law, however, you will each live in separate households. Even though you are separated, you still need to determine the following things:

  1. Child custody
  2. Visitation
  3. Child support
  4. Spousal support arrangements

Question: What can I do if my spouse refuses to pay child support or alimony?

A: If your spouse doesn’t want to pay court-ordered child support, you can petition the court for back child support.

Question: Is there a way to modify child support, alimony, or time-sharing agreements?

A: In order to modify these things, you must show the court that there has been “a substantial change in your circumstances.” This can include things like losing your job or your spouse’s income increasing.

If you need legal assistance with your divorce proceedings, then call us today at (305) 709-5725 to schedule your consultation with our experienced family law attorney.